Thursday, November 16, 2006

Admiration and Inspiration


I am dedicating this entry to all the courageous melanoma patients on MPIP that are waging personal battles of their own...
I would be remiss if I didn't mention here, that while I can get very bogged down in my own worries (in fact, hate myself when I do!), there are too many of my fellow melanoma warriors that are facing far tougher battles....Whenever I need a reality check, or even a smack upside the head, I think of each one of them...
All of them brave, whether they believe it to be or not, positive, strong....Amazing.

Sheila: fighting so hard, yet always smiling; she and her husband so postive.
Heather: no matter what punches melanoma throws at her, she always seems to come up swinging; tough as nails and funny as hell!
Sarah: I have read her blog too, and have found out that she too, has an indomitable spirit in the face of all she has come up against.
Charlie: I have read all of his posts religiously since my own days at MPIP began, and have grown to admire him...He is an incredible man.
These are all stage IV melanoma patients...and they are just a few of many, many more...Bill and Charlotte, Randy, Rusty and Yen, Carole....I am in awe of each one of them and their caregivers.
And to all my fellow melanoma patients and good friends who are NED (no evidence of disease): Amy, Sue, Carver, Carole, Lisa, FAith, Kathie, Debbie, Bridget...I wish each of you only more of the same...NED for a loooong, long time. May melanoma NEVER darken your doorsteps again!
Each on of them fighting so hard, now or in the past, is an angel and so much more than an inspiration.
MPIP and all the people there have made a HUGE impact on me.


Melanoma has a face.

It is the loving husband or wife, young mother or father, young adult just starting out in life, and heartbreakingly, sometimes even a teenager or a child...

Victims we are not.

Melanoma cannot break our spirits; whether or not it takes from us our bodies, it will never win this war.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as always, love from Nevada..to my most favorite spirited young woman..you remind me so much of Kristy in your giving to others and determination. love, sue

Carver said...

Dear Shannon,

What a beautiful post. I know what you mean about the reality check from some of the amazing people on the MPIP and I have to say I count you among them. You always have so much grace, humor and honesty. I don't see how those of you with fairly young children keep it together at all while fighting active disease or even when you're NED for that matter. I remember what it's like to have a young child and it's not easy under the best of circumstances, much less when you have cancer. My best wishes, Carver

Anonymous said...

You my friend are the warrior - when i think if what you've been through it makes MY head spin around 360! I have been so impressed with how you've handled this latest round of mel. bs. I'd probably be bound for the loony bin. But maybe not...i've had great examples of how to carry on in the face of adversity...how to look mel. in his evil face and spit in his eye and wring every bit of enjoyment out of life till the last possible minute - to embrace those you love and not waste precious time on worry.

i miss you and love you and think of you & pray for daily,
Amy