Thursday, November 02, 2006

Heheh. Just disturbing enough.














Now that's pretty gross...If the picture here isn't endorsement enough for why we shouldn't be all consumed in the quest for the perfect tan, I don't know what should be. Well, maybe Magda in the movie There's Something About Mary...she's gotta come in at a close second.
A picture is worth a thousand words and all that, and this one is just about the worst I have seen. Seen plenty of people after years of avid sunbathing only to wind up looking like an old saddle bag when they grow old.
In a perfect world, just telling people about the risk of melanoma and how deadly it can be should be enough of a reason to keep people from their constant treks to tanning beds and their refusal to slop on a ton of sunscreen before hitting the beach....but alas, it does not seem to be for many people.
Sadly, vanity is what appeals to so many...
I was one of many melanoma patients who was a part of all that hype...The need to be bronze and not go back to school practically glowing in the dark with my chicken white skin. It is primarily this that got me into this fix that I find myself in right now...
Well, to be technical, not completely. It got me melanoma. It didn't put me at stage IIIb. That, I do believe was due to my being misdiagnosed back in 2001, but I digress.
Anyway, came across this picture and thought it perfectly conveyed the argument against that all too important and irrepressable need so many people have to be tan.

Whoa...I really need to get cooking that grub that I should be preparing for my period of down time.

No comments: